Thursday 23 April 2009

Write she said...

So, I wrote...  Just over 600 words of...something.  Usually, I use hot pen or writing practice exercises to warm up before I start working on ongoing projects.  But as I'm out of practice and generally warming up to writing again, I'm really just trying to get those muscles working again.

Most of the time the writing that comes out is...meh.  It's usually ragged and uninspired, but sometimes there's something in there worth keeping - a phrase or description.  Something true.  Sometimes.  Not always.

I'm hoping to start putting some of these ragged and uninspired exercises on here soon, just as a window into my writing style, subject obsessions and so that you can see the progression of work, if anything turns out to be worth progressing with.

Promise you'll be gentle with me...

2 comments:

TwitterNovel said...

There's usually something you can pull out of everything you write -- even if it is just a laugh three or four years down the road. Something I find helpful during my blocked periods is just to set a word goal -- say, 500 a day -- and just write until you've hit it.

Don't judge it as good or bad, just hit the word goal and move on. After a week, look back at what you did -- you'll find some pretty interesting stuff in there.

twistedwitch said...

I find egotistical satisfaction in reading some of my old journals... :-)

Some of it's pretty good.

Some of it proves that I'm a nappy wearing monkey with a head injury. (Apologies to nappy wearing monkeys with head injuries)...