Thursday 23 April 2009

Write or the Mocha gets it...

I'm sitting on the first floor of Nero's, over-looking Norwich market.  The sun is warm through the window and the tops of the market stalls look like striped sea defences, protecting the City Hall from attack by marauding pirates or a moaning of zombies...

I'm sitting here realising that in the space of a week, I have become addicted to writing in coffee shops during my lunch break.  I don't know if it's the coffee - regular mocha with a hazelnut shot - or if it's the occasional chocolate brownie, or just the warmth of the sun luring me out, but at the moment I can't bear to stay at work during lunch.  And despite the expense and the un-credit-crunch of it, I'm prepared to let myself be addicted.  Because right now I'm sitting here with the laptop open and I'm writing.

I figure anything that gets me here, regularly, without the bitchin and moaning, whilst I'm working full time, has to be a good thing.  If I can get back into the habit of writing every day, the writing will start to happen on its own - without the need of bribes.  Or at least with the aid of cheaper bribes...

So, I've got about twenty minutes left before I have to go back to work, half a brownie and about four gulps of coffee...  I think that's enough to get me through a writing exercise or two...

No comments: