Tuesday 28 April 2009

What if there's no twelve step program?

I think it's time that I admitted that I'm addicted to buying how-to-write books...

Shameful and disappointing I know, but I find honesty is the best policy and the first step to recovery is to admit that there's a problem.

I blame Natalie Goldberg.  Her book Writing Down the Bones, (ISBN 9781590302613), was one of the first books on writing that I bought as a student, way, way back when my hair was it's natural colour.  I love her style, the influence Buddhism has on her writing and advice, the way the sand of the desert around her home creeps into the pages, her location inspiring both her and her readers.  It's a book I return to frequently for encouragement and writing exercise prompts and no other author of said books has equalled.

But that doesn't stop me from buying them...

My top five books on writing:
1.  Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg
2.  Wild Mind - Natalie Goldberg
3.  A Writer's Book of Days - Judy Reeves
4.  Bird by Bird - Anne Lamott
5.  The Creative Writing Coursebook - Andrew Motion and Julia Bell

As you can tell by the list, I tend to prefer the books that try to get you impassioned, inspired and writing often.  I find the books that try to improve your writing can be cold, formulaic and uninspiring - they don't make me want to write, let alone write better.

The downside of this addiction: sometimes I read books on writing as displacement from writing...  I keep telling myself reading is important, but I know in my heart that an essential part of writing is...writing.

So, I guess I should do some.

4 comments:

Stoghz said...

Gotta confess, kid, I've never actually read one of those 'how to write' books... just because I'm overcome with a paranoid fear that I'll realise I can't write for shit and just give up after a prolonged, stroppy trantrum.

(rRh)

Scratchy/Stretchy said...

Hey There 'TwistedWitch'
Welcome to the world of blogging..I spotted yr link on one of my rare incursions into looking at the comments bit on me facebook.
Remember the ole maxim - in cyberspace, no one can here you typing!
Best Wishes from your old Naaarwich chum,
Scratchy Buckles
p.s How about 500 words on the delights of Peppermint Park?

twistedwitch said...

I mostly read them for writing practice ideas and for a gentle reminder of how much I'm still in love with writing...

Sometimes, I realise that I can't write for shit, but the good thing about these books - they remind you that loads of other people can't write for shit either and they're getting published...

TwitterNovel said...

Sure, writing has rules and guidelines. . . that you should feel perfectly free to break at will as soon as you understand them.

After all, you can't be eccentric without first knowing how to properly draw a circle.